H.F. Hamm House

The Hamm House, built in the settlement era for Johann and Anna Hamm, is an important Manitoba example of a traditional Mennonite vernacular-style residence. Composed almost entirely of materials found at hand, the structure is characterized by its 1½-storey height, broad rectangular form and especially strong construction, including a heavy timber frame, stacked lumber walls and mud bricks in the upper levels.

These features reflect the basic design and building methods used by Mennonites prior to their nineteenth-century emigration from Russia. The Hamm House, originally part of a combined home/barn unit, remains an integral component of the preserved resources found in the rare street village of Neubergthal, a national historic site of Canada.

Source: Rural Municipality of Rhineland By-law No. 2004-11, December 8, 2004

Fall 2018

“The interior arrangements of rooms can be determined from linear remains of painted and unpainted sections on the ceiling and walls. Originally the current west wall would have faced south. A1 was the Groote Stow, A2 was the Atj Stow, A3 was the Hinjetus, A4 was the Vaeathues, and A5 was the Koma. The front door led into A4, the back door into A3. The end door beside A5 led to the barn.”

Source: Roland Sawatzky, “The Control of Social Space in Mennonite Housebarns of Manitoba, 1874-1910,” (PhD dissertation, Simon Fraser University, 2005), 241-242.